Monday, April 28, 2008

Dad's Belated Birthday Spotlight

I've decided to try and do a little birthday spotlight on the important people in my life.

Dad just celebrated his birthday on Saturday, April 26!!


Happy Belated Birthday Dad!



HERE ARE SOME GREAT THINGS ABOUT DAD


  • He is a very hardworker. He is happiest when he has a big project.


  • He is generous. When I needed money and asked him for a ten he gave me a twenty.


  • He is so talented! He can make or restore practically anything: robots, old cars, tractors, guns, awesome pinewood derby cars, campers, sheds, garages and a beautiful family home.


  • He is a Ham Radio Hero


  • He is quite the teaser! I remember him trying to pay with his "small checks", checking out our new shoes by tipping us upside down, sneaking food off our plates, and sneaking me his buttermilk at a restaurant. That one kind of backfired on him.

  • He has practically done it all: pilot, fireman, EMT, business owner, gardener, hunter....


  • Now he is Grandpa!


  • I appreciate all he has done for me. I now realize all that being a parent requires. It's not nearly as easy as I thought it was going to be!

This little story is one I tell my children about Grandpa Kearl. I think my Grandma Kearl told it to me as a little girl. I always thought it was very funny.

When my dad, your Grandpa Kearl was a little boy his mother bought him an ice cream cone at the little neighborhood store. He ate it as they walked home and upon arriving he sat on the porch outside to finish it. A few minutes later he came inside and gave the remainder of his cone to his mother. He didn’t want it any more. His mother finished it. A few minutes later Grandpa was asking his mom for another cone. His mother didn’t quite know what to think. “But you didn’t want your cone! You gave it to me!” she said. Little Grandpa replied, “I didn’t want that cone because the cat licked it. I want another cone!”

Thanks for the sacrifices you made on my behalf, Dad!! I love you.



Did I mention Dad can be silly?

No comments: